10 COMMANDMENTS FOR DOG OWNERS
1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years or more.
Any separation from you will be painful.
2. Give me time to understand
what you want from me. Don't break my spirit with your temper, though I will
always forgive you. Your patience will teach me more effectively.
3. Please have me spayed or neutered.
4. Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart
in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be
angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as a punishment. After all, you
have your job, your friends, your entertainment, and I only have you.
5. Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand
your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is
the sweetest sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiasm whenever I
hear your footsteps.
6. Take me in when it's cold and
wet. I'm a domestic animal and I am no longer accustomed to the bitter
elements. I ask for little more than your gentle hands petting me. Keep my
bowl filled with water. Feed me good food so that I may stay well to romp
and play. By your side, I stand ready, willing and able to share my life
with your, for that is what I live for. I'll never forget how well you've
7. Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could
easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or
uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm
not getting the right food; I've been out in the sun too long; my ear may
hurt; or my heart may be getting weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. For you will grow
10. When I am old, or when I no longer enjoy good
health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having
fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me
on that difficult journey when it's time to say goodbye. Everything is
easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my
last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands.
I love you.